- Residents are to be clean and sober at all times, no alcohol or other mood altering chemicals at any time. You will be asked to leave immediately if you use.
- All medications (Rx and over the counter) must be checked in to the Director. No medications upstairs.
- The Director must approve any Doctor or Dental appointment, prior to making the appointment or the need for one.
- All medications must be taken as prescribed and any changes in RX medication must be given by prescribing doctor.
- You are responsible for getting your prescription filled before you run out.
- ANY medication taken by a resident must be taken with the PRIOR knowledge of the Director. This includes aspirin, cough medicine, sinus and any other over the counter medication.
- NO OVER THE COUNTER DIET PILLS OR SLEEP AIDS WILL BE ALLOWED.
- Only alcohol-free mouthwash, breath mints, hair gel and other personnel items will be allowed.
- Random urine testing is done as well as an on site Breath Analyzer.
- Urine samples may be sent to Toxicology Lab weekly or as needed.
- You will be tested when you return from pass and if you were out past time allowed.
- FIRST WEEK a new resident does not answer the phone or use the phone at Oakwood or any other place, except to obtain sponsorship. You will need prior permission from the Director. If you have any legal issues, court dates or medical needs, see Director immediately.
- SECOND WEEK may use phone to obtain a sponsor, employment or school. You are also able to answer the phone and take complete messages on the message pad and put on bulletin board for others.
- AFTER 2 WEEKS you may call home once a week. Please find a time when you and your family will be at home.
- AFTER 60 DAYS you may use the phone more.
- Fifteen Minute limits will be imposed on all calls, be aware of others using the phone. You MUST answer call waiting beep.
- Phone calls are to be made downstairs. You must have prior approval from Director to take phone upstairs.
- Do not hide your phone calls.
- NO CELL PHONES EVER ALLOWED!
- New residents must complete one week at Oakwood prior to looking for a job. Just relax and get used to the schedule.
- A new resident must have 30 days of sobriety before seeking employment, school etc.
- During the first 30 days, a new resident may not leave the house except to attend AA meetings, job interviews or church, without someone in the house over 60 days unless approved by Director. All other activities must be pre-approved by Director.
- All residents must come home right after meetings, church or work before they can go anywhere else. If you need to stop at the store, do so before a meeting but DO NOT be late for the meeting.
- A resident may go to a meeting with her sponsor on Thursday night if we do not have any other event planned.
- Residents are to be dressed for the day by 8:00AM Mon-Fri. Please be considerate of those getting dressed for work or school.
- Saturday and Sunday you will be dressed for the day and downstairs by 10:00am.
- When you get up, make your bed. You must sleep between 2 sheets, not on top of the comforter.
- Clean your area every day. Wash clothes and sheets according to the schedule.
- Meditation is as assigned by Director every morning. You must be on time and participate or there are consequences that will follow.
When to Eat
- We have community supper at 6:00PM Sunday-Thursday.
- Breakfast is by 8:00AM Mon-Fri, as you go Sat-Sun.
- Lunch is from 12:00-1:00PM on your own.
- At no other times should you be eating except for small snacks
Chores are a part of living at Oakwood. There are consequences if you fail to do them. Repeated offenses of not completing them will result in being asked to leave Oakwood. Chores are assigned on a monthly basis and should be done as outlined.
Cleaning chores include but not limited to:
- Keep bedrooms neat and clean at all times. Beds are to be made neatly when you get up. Two sheets on your bed. DO NOT sleep on the comforter. Wash sheets weekly, wash clothes weekly and keep put up evenly. NO FOOD OR DRINKS ALLOWED UPSTAIRS!!
- All dishes must be rinsed and put in dishwasher after each use. Do not put them in the sink. If dishwasher is full, empty it.
- Wash tubs and showers out after each use. Take all toiletries out after each use.
- Keep downstairs clean and picked up at all times.
- Cleaning, cooking, bathroom cleanup and other duties will be assigned and posted on a monthly basis by the Director.
The directors office and medication cabinet are off limits to all residents at all times.
- Smoking is not allowed on front or back porch at all.
- Smoke in designated smoking areas only(backyard or side yard).
- No cigarette butts on the ground. Dispose of all cigarette butts appropriately.
- When attending a meeting you must sit in the front rows, not in the back.
- Smoke, get coffee and go to restroom BEFORE the meetings starts. DO NOT get up during meeting. Do not talk to your neighbor during the meeting.
- Residents are required to make at least 5 meetings a week, not including meetings at Oakwood, unless otherwise specified. They must include a speaker meeting, step meeting, big book study and open discussion. New-comer must make 90 in 90.
- New residents who are not employed, must go to the 8:30 at Highland Club or a noon meeting Mon-Fri.
- Winners Meeting on M-W-F @ 12:30. Any other meeting must be approved by the Director.
- All residents need to use meeting sheet every time you go to a meeting.
- Listen at the meetings, you have two ears for a reason.
- You must be at Oakwood for 60 days before taking a pass. (Except for immediate family emergencies).
- Pass requests must be filled out and turned in to Director by 6pm on Wednesdays. No passes will be considered after this time.
- You may take up to 2 passes monthly.
- Your pass is for going home to family in a sober, safe place for you and your sobriety. You must go to meetings, call your sponsor and director each day while on pass. You must return by 6:00PM on Sunday.
- A resident must be in good standing with the House to be considered for a pass. Rent must be current or payment plan made and you must not be on restriction. It is your responsibility to do your chore or make sure that it gets done while you are gone.
- A pass can be denied.
Sign In and Out Sheets
- All residents MUST sign in and out. The sheet will include where the resident is going, phone number where you can be reached, how you are getting there and with whom, time you left, time you will be back, and time you GOT back.
- Do not go anywhere other than where you signed out to go. If you need to go anywhere else you must call and ask Director for permission.
- If you are going to be late you must call Director.
- Check sign in sheet and bulletin board when you return for messages or events and other things posted.
- When you go to an evening meeting and come home, DO NOT go anywhere for the rest of the night.
- If you fail to sign in or out there will be consequences.
- The computer is a privilege and is provided to assist with job search. It can be taken away at any time.
- Limit yourself to 30 minutes a day unless otherwise noted by Director.
- Do not download anything.
- No dating sites, no gambling sites, no pornographic or sexually explicit sites.
No TV until after 4:15pm. Mon-Fri
Must be turned off by 11:00pm.
- Weekends you may watch as you wish but no later than 1:00am.
- TV is considered a privilege and can be taken away.
- Sunday-Thursday is 10:00PM
- Friday and Saturday is 12:00AM-only with your sponsor and with permission by Director.
- Resident may not leave premises with out signing out for any reason.
- If you are leaving to go to the store or to a meeting, ask everyone if they wish to go. We are a team-do not exclude anyone.
- No visitation allowed until resident has been in the house 30 days.
- Visitation is Saturday and Sunday from 12:00pm-6:00PM. The Director MUST approve all visitors. ONLY IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBERS are allowed. You are responsible for your visitors.
- Director reserves the right to ban any guest from the house.
- NO ROMANTIC OR PHYSICAL CONTACT OR RELATIONSHIP IS ALLOWED. ZERO TOLERANCE RULE.
- No one other than immediate family are allowed to visit call or write.
- While living at Oakwood, no resident will have contact of a romantic or physical nature if not the legal spouse of that resident.
- There will be no contact with the legal spouse of resident without prior consent of the Director during your stay at Oakwood.
- Residents are not allowed to call, write or receive mail from treatment centers, prisons, or jails.
- Church attendance is optional on Sundays and is subject to Director’s approval.
- You are to purchase your own laundry detergent. Label it and keep it in your room.
- Do not use someone else’s detergent.
- Keep your laundry done weekly.
- People not working should wash during the day. Working people wash at night. Be aware of others washing. Do not leave clothes in washer or dryer over night.
- Try to combine loads and make full loads. You must empty lint filter each time you dry.
- Be aware of other using shower. This will affect water pressure.
- Use of personal vehicle is allowed. You must have a current license, registration and insurance to drive.
- You are not to take any one to work or anywhere else unless approved by the Director. You are not a taxi!
- A resident without a vehicle will not be allowed to use another resident’s vehicle for any reason.
- You are to take others to AA meetings when you go, ask everyone, do not be selective with who you want to ride with you. We are a team.
- Whoever you ride with, you need to come back with that person.
- Rent is $80 per week.
- This includes room and board. You are responsible for paying your rent in a timely manner.
- Statements are issued weekly and are billed 1 week in advance.
Intentional and or continued failure to live within these rules is cause for dismissal. These rules are designed for sober and safe living. Any conduct or living conditions interfering with that or the serenity of another resident is subject to review by the Director and/or Management Committee.
Any circumstances which are not covered by these rules and any exceptions will be at the discretion of the Director.
Upon leaving Oakwood, you are encouraged to keep coming back and share your experience, strength and hope with the other residents. You are encouraged to maintain a relationship with the house either in a monetary fashion or good will.
Oakwood Home for Women House Rules Revised September 2017:
Gina Hartley and Kay Hyatt